Juma Sultan (born April 13, 1942, in Monrovia, California). Juma is a musician who has been involved in music for over 50 years having endeavored to increase the understanding of music in the context of African and Afro-American cultures. He may be best known for his appearance at the Woodstock Festival of 1969 at Bethel Woods, playing with Jimi Hendrix. He currently plays in the African performance group Sankofa, the band Sons of Thunder, and with the Juma Sultan Band.
Sultan performed in 1969 at Woodstock in Hendrix’s band, Gypsy Sun and Rainbows and on the Dick Cavett show and at a special show in Harlem, New York several weeks later. He was interviewed extensively for the documentary films, Jimi Hendrix and Jimi Hendrix: Live at Woodstock. You can also find him on approximately 12 of Jimi Hendrix’ posthumous releases.
Juma Sultan’s musical talents span jazz, rock, blues and spirituals throughout decades of performing, producing and recording. In 2006, Clarkson University, in conjunction with Sultan, received a grant from the National Endowment of the Arts to preserve Sultan’s audio and video documentation of avant-garde jazz during the 1960s and 1970s. The collection may be viewed at www.jumasarchive.org.
Sultan appeared at the National Rock Con from July 30, 2010 – August 1, 2010.
- Manhattan Egos – Sonny Simmons (1969) – bass, congas
- The Black Ark – Noah Howard (1969) – congas
- The Cry of Love – Jimi Hendrix (1971) – percussion
- Rainbow Bridge – Jimi Hendrix (1971) – congas, percussion
- Things Have Got to Change – Archie Shepp (1971) – percussion on “Money Blues” (uncredited)
- Attica Blues – Archie Shepp (1972) – percussion
- Live at the Village Vanguard – Noah Howard (1972) – percussion
- Jimi Hendrix(Soundtrack) (1973) – percussion
- Crash Landing – Jimi Hendrix (1975) – percussion
- Kwanza – Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre (1977) – percussion
- Woodstock (Jimi Hendrix album) – Jimi Hendrix (1994) – percussion
- Voodoo Soup – Jimi Hendrix (1995) – percussion
- First Rays of the New Rising Sun – Jimi Hendrix (1997) – percussion
- South Saturn Delta – Jimi Hendrix (1997) – percussion
- Live at Woodstock – Jimi Hendrix (1999) – percussion
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Jimi Hendrix (2000) – percussion
- Valleys of Neptune – Jimi Hendrix (2010) – percussion
- The Juice Quartet Archives: Volumes 1,2, & 3 – Alan Glover (2010) – congas
- West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology – Jimi Hendrix (2010) – percussion
- Live at Woodstock (Deluxe Edition) – Jimi Hendrix (2010) – percussion
- Father of Origin – Juma Sultan’s Aboriginal Music Society (2011) – bass, hand drums & percussion, ahoudt, wooden flutes
- Jimi Hendrix: The Dick Cavett Show (1969)
- Woodstock (1970)
- Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock (1992)
- Jimi Hendrix: Live at Woodstock (1999)
- Biography (TV Series) – Jimi Hendrix: The Man They Made God (2000)
- Jimi Hendrix : Blues (Deluxe Version) (2010)
- Biography (TV Series) – Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child (2010)