Spark Prize 2019-2020 Timeline
- Monday, April 1, 2019: Online Application Opens
- Thursday, April 18, 2019 3-5PM: In Person Application Clinic* at Brooklyn Community Foundation
- Tuesday, April 30, 2019 12-1:30PM. Application Clinic Webinar
- Friday, May 10, 2019: Applications Due at 5:00PM
- May 2019: Spark Prize Committee Announced
- June – September 2019: Applications Reviewed by Committee
- October 2019: 20 Finalists Announced
- November 19 – December 6, 2019: Finalists Interviews with Committee
- December 3, 2019: #BrooklynGives on Giving Tuesday
- January 2020: Five $100,000 Spark Prize Winners Announced
- February 2020: Spark Breakfast
*We will not be able to accommodate individuals who do not RSVP due to limited space capacity.
Funding Criteria and Priorities
Finalists and Prize Winners will embody the following:
- Born in Brooklyn: Organizations that have a deep history in Brooklyn and continued commitment to serving the borough.
- Commitment to Equity: Organizations that address systemic challenges and are working toward racial and social justice for all Brooklynites.
- Values-Driven: Organizations that have strong, articulated values that permeate through all aspects of their work.
- Vision for Future: Organizations that have a strong vision for the future of their work in Brooklyn and beyond.
To be eligible, organizations must meet each of the following requirements:
- Serve people and communities of Brooklyn
- Be in operation for longer than five years
- Have a minimum organizational budget of $350,000
- Have a 501c3 letter or a memorandum of understanding (MOU) from a fiscal sponsor
- Have an active governing body
We especially encourage organizations that are not current Brooklyn Community Foundation grantees to apply.
Organizations that applied for the Spark Prize last year are encouraged to apply again, including finalists—former winners are not eligible to apply. Organizations do not need to be previous grantees of the Foundation to be eligible; current Foundation grantees are also eligible to apply.
In order to be considered for the Spark Prize, please submit an online application here.
The online application includes:
- Brief organizational description
- 1000-word essay addressing the Spark Prize criteria
- Attaching the following documents:
- IRS 501c3 Determination Letter
- Fiscal Sponsor MOU (if applicable)
- Most recent completed financial statement and/or 990 Form
- Bios of three key personnel
Online applications are due at 5PM on Friday, May 10, 2019. Late submissions will not be considered.
If you have any questions about these guidelines or the online application, please visit our FAQ pageor reach out to us at [email protected].
1000 Dean Street, Suite 307, Brooklyn, NY 11238